TRS has the ability when it starts to provide a list of
several databases that you can connect to and use. Therefore if you take a copy
of your current database, you can tell TRS to ask you each time it starts
whether you would like to use the Main database or the Practice database. The
following steps assume that TRS has been installed in its default directory
with its default names and settings.
1. Make sure to Exit TRS on any computers that it may currently be running on.
2. On the computer that is the server for TRS (the one were the database is
stored). Make a copy of the current TRS database. Click on Start then click on
My Computer. Double Click on the C: drive, double click on the Program Files
folder, double click on the current TRS version folder (i.e. TRS11 for
instance). Next double click on the Data folder. Right click on your TRS
database, it will be the file with a .dbf after it, if using TRS11 it will be
Data1100.dbf, from the pull down menu left click on Copy.
3. Next Paste the copy into the data folder and rename the file. From the menu
at the top of the window click on Edit then click on Paste. You should receive
a file that is a copy of the data file, it will be
name something like Copy of Data1100.fdb. Right click on the copy and from the
pull down menu choose Rename. Rename the file to Practice.fdb.
4. Close any open Windows.
5. Now we are going to create a connection for TRS to the new practice
database. This can be done from any of the computers that TRS is running on.
Click on Start then point Program, then point to the Total Retail Solution
folder then click on Database Administrator.
6. The normal connection for TRS is normally named Main,
look at the line that starts with Main and write down
with the Server is for Main, you will need this in the
7. Click on Add New Database Connection. For the Alias name type in Practice.
For the server type in what your wrote down from the
previous step. Where it says Path to Data File, change the end of the line
where it says data1100.fdb to practice.fdb the line
should look like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\TRS11\data\practice.fdb, in the
database type put a dot next to practice and then click OK.
8. Next click on Save and Exit, it is important to click on Save and Exit and
not click on the red X in the upper right hand corner of the window or else the
changes will not be saved.
9. Run TRS, you will notice when you start you receive a selection of
databases, if you want to run in the practice database click on that line and
click on OK, then proceed as normal. As a suggestion it is a good idea to
change the first customers First and Last name in the
database to PRACTICE DATABASE. That way if you walk away and
want to know if you are in the practice database or not you can go to the first
customer and find out.